Limestone is surprisingly affordable
Treatment, Application & Maintenance
Bruhn Rockseal Limestone Treatment
Bruhn Rockseal protects natural limestone by converting it from a soft friable material to a hard wearing water repellent finish.
Bruhn Rockseal is designed to penetrate deep into the pores of natural limestone to strengthen and harden the stone. The treated surface will not dust or crumble and highlights the stone colour.
Bruhn Rockseal prevents surface streaking due to fungal growth and moisture while allowing the stone to age naturally. It will reduce staining and repel water from the surface of the stone.
Bruhn Rockseal has high resistance to airborne pollutants, improves the resistance to C02 and is unaffected by ultra-violet light. The treatment will extend both the life of the limestone and its mortar joints.
- Stone should be sealed to application specifications below.
- The sealant is supplied in 205 litre drums and must be stirred thoroughly before application. Bruhn Limestone must be kept free of mortar splashings and stains and the face surface of the stone should be protected at all times against damage during construction.
- Stone should be power washed with a low pressure fan spray to clean pores before sealant is applied. Allow stone to touch dry before application of sealant. Wash from top to bottom.
- Stone should not be washed or sealed until the mortar has hardened sufficiently.
- SEALANT MUST BE APPLIED TO STONE WORK ONLY. Windows, window frames, door frames, timber, aluminium and all other materials should be protected against sealant application, otherwise wash off with clean water immediately if sealant is inadvertently applied to any of these materials.
- Ensure site is free from dust during washing and sealing.
- There are generally two methods of applying sealant. The first being by airless spray gun. Sealant should be applied in one heavy coat only, making sure once an area is coated it is not double coated as this may cause run marks.
Alternately one coat of sealant can be applied by flood coat. Each block is saturated with sealant starting at top and working down the wall. The necessary drum application sealant equipment can be purchased from Bruhn Limestone, utilising a small compressor to pressurise sealant drum. Again making sure nothing is double coated.
Apply sealant from top to bottom at 2 litres per square metre.
Test a small area to ensure that the application rate is correct.
- Allow at least 24 hours to dry. Allow two months for product to cure.
- Wash out hose lines with clean water after use.
- AVOID SEALANT CONTACT WITH EYES AND SKIN. TAKE ALL NECESSARY PRECAUTIONS TO FAMILIARISE YOURSELF WITH THE SAFETY REQUIREMENTS OF THE SEALANT. IF SWALLOWED CONTACT YOUR LOCAL POISONS INFORMATION CENTRE.
- MIX SEALANT THOROUGHLY BEFORE EACH APPLICATION.
- STORAGE – Store sealant drums under 24 degrees in a cool, well ventilated area away from ignition sources.
- SEALANT CONTRACTORS – Contractors who meet our approval are available to wash and seal limestone for clients. They do both new homes and also a wash, clean and re-seal of established homes. Please contact us direct for further details.